Hidden Wedding Costs
It is very easy to get carried away when planning your big day but there are some hidden wedding costs that you need to be aware of!
With so many beautiful stationery options available these days it is difficult not to order absolutely everything that matches your invites!
So before you place your order make sure you check a few things with your stationer first:
- Does the price of the invite include an envelope?
- Do the place cards come printed with guest names or is this an additional cost?
- Do you offer these particular invites in a different grade or card for a lower price?
- If I order all my stationery needs in one go will I receive a discount?
Read More: Wedding Invitations
Some venues include menus and table plans as part of their packages so double check before you order.
So you have found your dream venue and have got the seal of approval from both sets of parents but before you sign on the dotted line make sure you confirm the following:
- If I book today do I get todays prices?
- Is there a minimum number of guests for the package and does that just relate to adult meals?
- Is there an extra charge for having entertainment after midnight?
- Do you charge for us to have a residents bar for the guests that are staying overnight?
Read More: Questions to ask at your wedding venue
Make sure you find out exactly what is included in the venue price as some will have the room dressed when you view it and this may be at an additional cost!
The amount of food that you decide to provide for your guests will depend on a few factors and you need to keep the following in your mind when planning your day:
- What time is the ceremony taking place? If late afternoon then one meal will be plenty for your guests.
- If the majority of your daytime guests are staying for the evening entertainment they will not need a huge portion of food from your evening buffet so many venues suggest that you order food for 70% of your total evening guests.
- If your venue does not offer an inclusive meal package why not consider having your cake as dessert!
Don’t fall into the trap of overfeeding, think about your arrival refreshments, main meal, evening buffet and if you are providing a sweetie cart.
Could you manage all this food in the one day?
When booking various suppliers for your big day make sure you are aware of all costs.
- Some may charge mileage etc if your venue is outside a certain radius.
- In the case of entertainment make sure you confirm timings and this should not include their setting up time.
- As with the venue ensure that you are guaranteed the prices at the time of booking.
- Confirm with your florist if the price includes the moving of arrangements from the ceremony venue to the reception venue.
- Always, ALWAYS get everything you agree with your suppliers in writing
Find Out More: My Wedding Photography Packages & Prices
Try to get suppliers that are local to your venue to avoid transport costs being added on.
In summary, make sure that you know what you are agreeing to when you sign any contract as the last thing you want is those hidden wedding costs eating into your honeymoon fund!!
Read More: Budget for your wedding day
If you enjoyed this article, it would be a great help to me if you shared it with your friends - don't forget to tag someone who is getting married!!!
Based in Ballyclare, Northern Ireland
Paul is married to Patricia (who helped him write these Wedding Hints & Tips posts!!) and the proud Dad to 2 fantastic sons.
A full-time professional photographer since 1990 and been privileged to have photographed well over 1300 weddings since then.
He worked in his own High Street Photography Studios up until December 2010 when he decided to downsize and work from home. He now splits his time between running Photography Courses and Wedding Photography, limiting himself to 30 weddings a year to maintain the quality and high level of customer service to each of his couples.
Is Paul still available for your Wedding Day? Check Now