With so much to plan for your wedding, here is a handy Wedding Planner countdown to your day with a guide to what needs done and when!
12 months to go
- Pick a date and confirm with the person performing the ceremony
- Plan your budget and open your wedding bank account
- Choose your bridal party
- Agree the number of guests to be invited
- Book venue and if possible reserve accommodation
- Purchase wedding insurance for your own peace of mind
- Research wedding photographers and videographer (friend referrals are always a good place to start)
- Start the search for your perfect dress (online is a great place to start)
Read More: Civil or Church Wedding?
Read More: Budget for your wedding day
Read More: Choosing a Reception venue
Read More: Videographers for your Wedding?
11 months to go
- Decide if your wedding is to have a theme or not
- Book your transport (if required)
- Book photographer and videographer
- Book your band or DJ
- Shop for the dream dress, make sure you take someone who will be honest
Read More: Arrive in Style
Read More: How To Survive Wedding Fayres!
10 months to go
- Choose a florist and discuss your ideas and colours with them
- Order your dress
- Book your honeymoon (Check if you need any immunisations)
- Research stationery providers or craft shops if you wish to make your own
Read More: Your Wedding Flowers
Read More: Top 10 Honeymoon Destinations
Read More: Wedding Invitations
Read More: What NOT to DIY for your wedding!
9 months to go
- Choose and order your bridesmaids and flower girl dresses
- Look out for accessories for you and your bridesmaids
- Order your stationery or start making your own (get all the bridal party involved)
- Book time off work
- Start looking for your cake maker (It is so important that it tastes as good as it looks!)
- If your venue does not include room dressing you may want to book a venue stylist for chair covers etc
Read More: Your Wedding Cake
8 months to go
- Remind your groom to organise suits for the men
- Start to think about gifts for the bridal party
- Begin your health and beauty regime
- Confirm music for ceremony and book musicians if required
Read More: Staying Healthy Before your Wedding
7 months to go
- Register for a wedding gift list with your chosen store/stores
- Select and order wedding favours
- Choose and purchase your wedding rings
- Order your wedding cake
6 months to go
- Buy your wedding lingerie and shoes
- Attend your first dress fitting (bring shoes and lingerie with you)
- Get your order of service booklets printed
- Make an appointment with your hairdresser and bring along a picture of your dress and headpiece to discuss suitable styles
5 months to go
- Plan your hen and stag parties
- Apply for your new passport if you are planning to travel under your married name
- Arrange any vaccinations or visas required for your honeymoon
- Book an appointment with your make-up artist to discuss your thoughts
Read More: The Hen Party!
Read More: Planning the Perfect Stag Do!
4 months to go
- Apply for your marriage licence at your local council
- Ensure you have all address details for your invitations
- Buy your going away outfit and honeymoon wardrobe
- Arrange hair and make-up trials for you and your bridesmaids
Read More: A Guide to the Legalities
3 months to go
- Send out your invitations (including a request for any food allergies)
- Arrange a menu tasting with your venue /caterer
- Meet with your florist to finalise requirements
- Confirm booking with all suppliers (Band, Transport etc)
Read More: Songs for your big Finale!
2 months to go
- Keep track of invite acceptances and refusals as they come in
- Start drawing up a seating plan for the reception
- Record all gifts as you receive them so you can write personalised thank you cards after the wedding
- Book your final hair and make-up appointments
- Arrange final dress fittings and collection date
Read More: Tackling your Wedding Table Plan
1 month to go
- Order foreign currency for honeymoon
- Meet with your wedding photographer to finalise requirements
- Confirm arrangements with venue
- Chase up unanswered invitations
- Finalise table plan
- Ensure all members of the bridal party know what is required of them
- Ensure placecards and seating plan are ready
- Confirm delivery or collection of cake
- Go and enjoy your Hen and Stag parties
Read More: Wedding Timings
1 week to go
- Have a wedding rehearsal
- Break in your wedding shoes
- Ensure speeches have been written
- Put together an emergency kit with make-up, painkillers, safety pins etc for any mishaps on the day
- Finalise numbers with venue/caterer
- Start packing for your honeymoon
- Remind your partner to have a haircut
Read More: Making the Perfect Wedding Speech
Read More: Last Minute Wedding Tasks
1 day to go
- Ensure the bestman has the rings and a list of contact numbers for all weddings suppliers. Also ensure he has arranged to return the hire suits
- Deliver items to venue, such as luggage, favours, placecards, seating plan etc.
- Have a manicure and pedicure
- Have everything laid out ready for the big day
- Take a long soak in the bath and get an early night
On the day
Relax knowing that everything is in hand and ENJOY YOUR DAY!!
If you enjoyed this article, it would be a great help to me if you shared it with your friends - don't forget to tag someone who is getting married!!!
Based in Ballyclare, Northern Ireland
Paul is married to Patricia (who helped him write these Wedding Hints & Tips posts!!) and the proud Dad to 2 fantastic sons.
A full-time professional photographer since 1990 and been privileged to have photographed well over 1300 weddings since then.
He worked in his own High Street Photography Studios up until December 2010 when he decided to downsize and work from home. He now splits his time between running Photography Courses and Wedding Photography, limiting himself to 30 weddings a year to maintain the quality and high level of customer service to each of his couples.
Is Paul still available for your Wedding Day? Check Now